Although we never endure snowstorms or below zero temperatures here in South Florida, the dry air can take its toll on one's skin...even us who suffer from oily skin! This winter season especially has been a rough one, at times leaving my face with visible dry patches and sensitive to the touch. However, after a bit of trial and error, I have picked up a few tricks and tips to help you keep a flawless face while facing the chilly weather.
1. Take a break from rigorous facial cleansing - For me that means reducing the use of my beloved Clarisonic. Usually, I use it both in the morning and the evening. However, once the humidity levels dropped my skin couldn't handle the rotating brush head.
On the days I wear make-up, which is usually Monday through Friday, I would use my Clarisonic only at night to ensure that I had removed all of my make-up before bed. However, during the weekend when I rock a bare face, I would just use my hands to massage my face wash onto my skin.
2. Use minimal primer, especially Milk of Magnesia - I found that applying too much primer to dry and broken skin made my face feel like it was on fire! Too much MOM and it would leave my face so paralyzed that you would think I'd had a few rounds of Botox.
3. Ditch your make-up brushes and befriend cosmetic sponges - Sometimes those bristles can cause further unneeded agitation to chapped skin. I recommend the BeautyBlender sponge to apply and blend foundation and concealer. Dampening the BeautyBlender before use is required and helps bring back extra moisture to your skin.
To apply setting powders (please read on to Tip #4 about powder products), I suggest using those white cosmetic sponges that come in packs of 50 or 100 available at your local beauty supply store.
And for those who dare to try, you can use your hands (be sure to wash them first!) to apply your make-up.
4. Say yes to cream products and no to powder products - It's a no brainer that cream products can offer moisturizing properties to your skin, while powder products can highlight any dry or flaky areas of the skin. In no way am I swearing off powder products for three months of the year, (I couldn't live without my M.A.C. Cosmetics Careblend Pressed Powder!), I would just advise to use them lightly and sparingly.
5. Finishing sprays are your new best friends! - Nothing like a mist of a water based finishing spray to hydrate your skin and keep your make-up in place all day. My favorites are M.A.C. Cosmetics' Fix+ and Urban Decay's All Nighter. I actually spray a thin layer of each onto my face before heading out.