#47: Ten Things I Plan to Spoil Myself With in 2015
I'd thought about writing my New Year's Resolutions but that would be too cliche. I mean I'm tired of reading those types of posts from other bloggers. So I deleted that draft and pondered for a moment as to how I should start the year off on www.shalandaleigh.com.
"Well, how about being a little selfish," I thought. Wait. Don't judge just yet. Let me explain.
Lately, and by that I mean the past few years, I feel as though I've been trying so hard to please everyone but myself. Family. Friends. Colleagues. Significant other. It may sound crazy, but I felt like I was losing myself. Like I knew the things I enjoyed doing but for some reason wouldn't allow myself to enjoy. Life will constantly pull you in all directions unless you take a minute to center yourself.
Yes. Center yourself. I be on my Feng Shui ish at times.
Let me stop my babbling and get to the list. But before I do, let me remind you to take care of yourself FIRST. If you aren't happy, then you really can't be of service to anyone else.
1. Pedicures - There is just something about the way French Tip looks on my toes that make me feel so ladylike. Oh and the orgasmic foot massages that accompanies it?! I hate for people to touch my feet but when I'm in that massaging chair, I throw caution to the wind.
2. Candles - I am a true believer in the power of aromatherapy. My favorite candle is the Stress Relief Eucalyptus Spearmint candle from Bath & Body Works. If you ever want to buy me a gift, that's the golden ticket. I have one in my home office that I used to calm me while I'm working on the blog. There is a second one in my bathroom that I light while I shower.
(TIP: Light a scented candle, turn off the lights in the bathroom and play Anthony Hamilton Radio on Pandora and your life will be forever changed. Thank me later.)
3. D.I.Y. Projects - If Pinterest was a pimp, I would be his bottom bitch.
(I'm laughing so hard right now at this South Park reference!)
4. Thrifting - Not just for myself but for my on-line boutique that is still a work in progress...I promise when it launches you will be the first to know. Pinkie swear.
5. Car Detailing - I mean, I'm not going to do it. And there is just this sense of peace when you're ridin' dirty in a clean car.
6. Fresh Fruit - Especially for those out of season. If a carton of strawberries is $6.00, I DON'T CARE! I'M BUYING THEM! I want to continue to eliminate processed foods from my diet and the desires of my sweet tooth is a great place to start.
7. Books - The Bible, biographies, science fiction...I want to read at least one book a month. The Bible isn't included in that count. I want to read the Holy Book on a daily basis.
8. Music - I remember a few years ago I would treat myself to one album from the Tuesday's releases on iTunes. I have to get back to that. I would just lie in bed with my eyes closed and allow the lyrics of each track speak to my soul.
9. Groupon & Living Social Deals - Still new to Jacksonville, these flash deal sites allow me to explore the city at discounted prices. New experiences with coupons? Count me in!
10. Learning Computer Coding & Languages - My inner dork is always wanting to learn something new. I first had a go with computer languages in the Oracle Academy in high school. Oh Java, how I remember thee... This time I am hitting up CodeAcademy.com to get me familiar with all the basics of each language.
What are your indulgences in 2015?