I wish I could be a stay-at-home wife. Maybe one day in the future when babies come into the picture but as of now I have to hit the daily 9-to5 grind. When you spend so many hours away from home, it's imperative to have basic necessities with you at all times.
Ever walked out of the house without putting on deodorant? Need to wash your hands but there isn't a bathroom around? Yep. Been there and done that too many times before. My solution? My personal "Away From Home Essentials Kit."
I like to keep two of these kits with me: one in my classroom and one in my car. Most of these items you can get in their miniature versions in the travel section of Wal-Mart or Target.
1. Tissue - If you suffer from severe allergies like myself, then a stuffy nose can happen at any time. I am to old to be wiping my nose on the back of my hand or my sleeve. And even if I was younger, well...that's just gross!
2. Pain Reliever Medicine - I rarely get headaches, but if I do I am grateful to have these handy.
3. Antibacterial Wipes - Okay I'm going to be totally candid (and possibly grotesque) for a moment. Ever been out somewhere and you didn't have time to make the three piece toilet paper seat cover? Remember when I explained to y'all how to poop at work? Don't front like you don't what I'm talking about. Well, these wipes are perfect for those types of emergencies.
4. Chapstick - Dry lips are not cute. I have a tub of Chapstick in almost every purse I own.
5. Deodorant - I live in South Florida so I experience a different kind of heat than most. Plus, I can't tell you how many times I've had to turn around mid-commute because I forgot to prep my pits in before leaving.
6. Lotion - I swear I suffer from the driest hands in America! The Ultra Healing lotion from Jergens has always been one of my favorites.
7. Altoids - Funky breath ain't the bee's knees either. I prefer mints because chewing gum isn't always appropriate depending on the situation.
8. Disinfectant Spray - Another great option for bathroom emergencies or a great way to freshen up the place before resigning from the porcelain throne.
9. Hand Sanitizer - Washing your hands with soap and water is definitely the preferred method, but sometimes you're in a pinch. I work with kids all day so my hands don't touch my face or a piece of food before I cleanse my hands in some way.